Software Development Manager
Are you an experienced manager that has worked closely with software developers? Do you want to lead an experienced development team that delivers high quality software solutions to help shape the future? Do you genuinely love software? Geisel Software, based in Worcester, Massachusetts, is a premier software company that works with the hottest software technologies of today and tomorrow. We are looking for a talented and motivated individual who is not afraid to work hard, learn new stuff, and help us build some great software!
Geisel Software develops web, mobile, and embedded software with a focus on robotics, medical devices, and machine learning. We pride ourselves on being a group of experts who are experienced working both independently and collaboratively in a supportive and stimulating work environment, solving difficult but exciting problems. We need a manager who can nurture the growth, happiness, and success of our team of engineers, someone who can help make decisions and solve problems, someone who respects our company culture and can appreciate and capitalize on the characteristics of our uniquely talented team.
Characteristics we're looking for in you
- The organization and leadership to manage skilled and experienced software developers.
- The courage to ask difficult questions and listen to the answers.
- The confidence to make important decisions and the humility to re-evaluate your decisions when new information arrives.
- The attitude to be collaborative and respectful in both oral and written communication.
- The ability to learn quickly and adapt to changes in a fast-paced development environment.
Here’s what you would be responsible for
- Support and collaborate with our engineers as they design and develop high quality software.
- Lead the recruiting, interviewing, and hiring of software developers.
- Mentor software developers and grow their skills, identify and plan training opportunities, provide performance feedback and reviews, and address promotions as well as remedial actions.
- Mentor and guide team leads and developers on software development best practices.
- Communicate the status of projects between teams, the organization, and stakeholders.
- Determine appropriate resources and synchronize efforts between software development teams and other internal groups to make best use of developer skills in designing, building, testing, and releasing on-time, high quality software.
- Interact with prospective clients to lead the technical project overview, help identify and present technical approaches, and contribute to the estimates and proposed solution.
- Help establish and refine job descriptions and career paths for software developers.
- Help developers maintain productive relationships with clients and effectively choose the right trade-offs, escalate issues if required, & build valued working relationships with technical SMEs, stakeholders, & senior management.
- Provide advice, guidance, and support to developers in times of conflict.
What we require
- 3+ years managing software developers.
- 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams.
- Proficiency with principles of software engineering and the software development life cycle.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Proven success creating alignment with senior leadership.
- Proven success nurturing a collaborative team culture.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A deep understanding of the latest trends and developments in our industry (such as robotics, medical devices, IoT).
Nice to have
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- 4+ years professional software development experience.
- A solid understanding of computer science topics such as algorithms, data structures, object oriented design, databases.
- Proficiency in a modern programming language such as (but not limited to) C++, Java, Python.
- Experience with SCRUM framework - environment, methodologies, and tools.
- Training and experience in building high performing teams is highly preferred.
What you'll get
- An opportunity to work in an exciting, modern software company that fosters an open, supportive, and stimulating work environment that focuses on results, not politics.
- A team of experienced and knowledgeable software developers with a proven track record of delivering high quality software.
- Accessible upper management that can mentor you and help you grow in your career.
- A position in a growing company that offers competitive benefits and salary.